Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Alien: Colonial Marines


So, I preordered Aliens: Colonial Marines, and as of today like every gaming review site I've visited has been fisting it in the ass as a piece of shit.

This is depressing, as I'm a Alien fan to the core. I've loved it ever since I was 8ish years old in summer camp and one of the counselors was outside telling a story. I had heard something as I was walking by them, it was a bunch of girls (all crushing over the cute boy counselor), and a few boys all between the ages of 8 sitting around listening.

I came over sat down and listened as he slowly walked us through the terror and excitement of Ripley's first encounter with a xenomorph, and how she bested it by spacing it out an airlock.

I was intrigued, I loved how detailed he made the movie sound and I remember seeing an image of the alien in my head.

Surprisingly when Aliens came on TV and I watched it, I was scared shitless. The entire thing was scary to me, but I was also enraptured, The image in my head of an alien xenomorph was the same as what was now on the screen. I had been verbally given the story of Alien (the first movie) and had yet to actually see it, so I KNEW the background, I knew Ripley's history to an extent. So I was already invested when Aliens (The second movie) actually took me in and coddled me with utter fear.

I didn't have nightmares.
I had dreams. I was a bad ass chick like Ripley kicking everyones ass with a pulse rifle and a flame thrower.

Aliens didn't scare me because I had this female rolemodel to look up too. Someone who was strong, resilient, loving, and at times emotionally unstable by her own fear. But that fear didn't cripple her, it made her stronger.

Aliens 3 came out and I wasn't really that big of a fan, but Alien Resurrection was amazing. Sigourney Weaver, Winona Ryder, and Ron Perlman? Fucking yes please!

Resurrection brought the fear back that I felt was missing from Alien 3.

So when I read all these reviews about a game that is the followup to Alien 2, everyone favorite of the series, and they are complaining about the outdated sound effects of the pulse rifle, and other things that I would be upset at missing in an Alien Game.... I'm a little miffed.

I'm still planning to pick up my pre-order, I'll probably do that on Friday. But until then I'm hoping a real Alien fan reviews it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment